Is Bleach The Answer To Removing Mold
Handling a bit of fungus cleanup in your business might seem like a do-it-yourself job, but are you sure? Before you reach for the bleach, you should know that it is not the best way to eradicate mold.
How Mold Works
Mold is a fungus that spreads through airborne spores. Most of the time, there is no need for concern. However, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that if the conditions are right, it only takes 24 to 48 hours for mold to settle and a little over a week for it to start spreading.
Mold needs a good source of moisture, food and warmth. The more porous the nutrient source (drywall, wood, fibers), the better. Mold will penetrate these surfaces and grow deep down in them, making it hard to get rid of the infestation.
Why Bleach Is Not the Solution
Bleach is not considered an effective method for fungus cleanup for a few reasons:
- It is not effective for long term use.
- It only cleans the top layer of surfaces, allowing mold to continue growing underneath.
- It encourages growth because it creates moisture.
Furthermore, the EPA advises against the use of the chemical because if the work area is not properly ventilated, it can cause harm to those using it.
How To Take Care of the Problem
To clean up mold, you have to find the reason for the moisture that is helping it grow. Fixing water issues such as broken pipes is the first step in mold removal. The next step is to dry the area completely and get rid of the affected materials. Some small infestations might be manageable on your own, but if you are dealing with a mold problem that extends beyond 10 square feet, it is safest to ask a mold remediation specialist for help.
With the right knowledge and help from your local expert in Chicago, IL fungus cleanup might end up feeling like a minor job, after all.